Per Route SMS Cannabis Policy, we are unable to send SMS notifications for merchants that sell any cannabis, CBD, or paraphernalia.
Examples of products that fall into the cannabis policy are, but not limited to:
- Cannabis or CBD-infused body products
- Clothing with marijuana prints
- Bongs, bowls, or any tool used to intake cannabis or CBD
- Cannabis/CBD-infused smokeable products
For a detailed overview of commonly-asked questions regarding this policy, please see our FAQ below.
- Why the policy update?
- In order to be in compliance with federal law we have updated our SMS policy to prohibit any messages containing cannabis, CBD, or paraphernalia, regardless of whether or not those messages explicitly contain cannabis terms, images, or links to cannabis websites.
- As a result, we are unable to send SMS notifications for merchants that sell any type of cannabis or CBD-related products.
- Does this affect shipping notifications via email or in-app push?
- No! This policy does not affect any email or in-app push shipping notifications. Regardless of merchant cannabis or CBD products, all Route merchants will still have the ability to send shipping updates to customers via email or push notifications.
- How does this affect current and net-new merchants?
- Current in-network Route merchants, at the time of this policy update, will have automatically been notified of this policy via email, and their Route SMS shipping notifications (if enabled) automatically turned off.
- Net-new merchants post-policy, will be informed of this SMS cannabis policy during onboarding and asked to self-categorize as a cannabis merchant so their SMS can automatically be disabled from future use.
- How do I know if I sell “cannabis” products?
- If you sell any products containing or related to cannabis, CBD, or paraphernalia.
- How strict is the policy? i.e. if I sell one or two cannabis-related products, am I still unable to send SMS via Route?
- The policy affects merchants even if they sell only a few products that fall into the cannabis-related product category.
What happens if I decide to begin or cease to sell any cannabis products post-onboarding? Can I change my cannabis status?
- Yes! You can petition to update your status via your Customer Support Manager or our merchant support team.
- If I would like a petition to remove my merchant status as a cannabis seller so I can enable SMS notifications, how can I do so?
- If you feel your account has been incorrectly tagged as a cannabis seller and you are unable to use SMS through Route, please reach out to your Customer Support Manager or contact our merchant support team to update your status in our system.
- Who can I reach out to with further questions regarding this policy?
If you still have questions regarding our cannabis SMS policy, and how that affects your store, please reach out to your Customer Support Manager or contact our merchant support team.